Love Yourself With
Heart Healthy Snacks
Eating for heart health is easy when you know a few tricks. This list includes easy, cheap, and delicious snacks that are healthful for your heart. They will all give you fiber, phytonutrients (plant nutrients), vitamins, minerals, and sustained lasting energy that will make you feel good now and keep your heart healthy for life.
1) Fruit is the ultimate fast food. It is loaded with fiber and phytonutrients that have multiple synergistic beneficial effects for the body.
2) Veggie sticks with peanut/almond/sunflower seed butter or hummus.
3) Avocado toast: Smash one avocado (loaded with heart healthy fats, potassium, and fiber) on a slice of whole wheat toast. Add a sprinkle of salt if you like. Enjoy!
4) Trail mix with potassium-rich raisins( Raisins have been shown to have a beneficial effect on blood pressure in research studies), walnuts (Omega-3 superstar), and fiber and mineral-rich seeds (pumpkin, sunflower, sesame, etc.
5) Kale chips! There are a plethora of recipes online for these tasty treats. Kale packs a huge nutritional punch delivering fiber, vitamins, minerals, and a satisfying crunch without the saturated or trans fat of chips. Kale truly is a superfood.
6) No-Bake Energy Balls (Simply Mix peanut butter, whole rolled oats, flax meal, honey, raisins, chopped nuts together and form into small balls. Place in fridge and grab when you need a quick energy boost. The oats are are high in fiber as are the raisins, and nuts. Flax meal provides a dose of heart-healthy Omega-3s, and honey is a natural sweetener) These are great when you need a sweeter treat that also contains fiber and lasting energy to sustain you.