Sunday, April 15, 2012

A Vegan Week of Dinners (And One Dessert)...Links to Recipes!


Important! Forks Over Knives is free on Hulu right now! If you haven't watched it, you need to. Just please trust me on this. This movie is based on the books The China Study by Dr. T. Colin Campbell and Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease by Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn and holds the answer for how diet and nutrition can prevent and cure so many chronic diseases. My 10-year-old son has watched it. As he sat in awe he said to me, "Mom, why don't they show this on the news?!" Indeed.

Next, I was so inspired by my meal plan this week (thanks to my friend Julie for the meal plan template that makes meal planning ridiculously fun) that I thought I would share. Since I always appreciate ideas of just what the heck to make for dinner I thought perhaps others might find some kernel of inspiration below. I know some of the recipes are a bit labor-intensive (Monday, Thursday), but others are totally quick and painless (Friday, Saturday, Sunday).

Monday: Chicken-fried seitan with sweet potato biscuits and gravy. Total comfort food!
Wednesday: Taco salad with black bean and corn quinoa
Saturday: Sushi night! (just get large sheets of nori, spread 1 cup cooked and cooled brown rice in the bottom portion, add veggies like julienned carrots, cucumber, sprouts, avocado, left-over seitan, and roll up! Dip in soy sauce mixed with wasabi.)
Sunday: Spaghetti with Meatless Balls (I use the premade frozen meatless balls and like them pretty well. I have been also wanting to try out a meatball sub using them with marinara sauce and vegan mozzerella (Daiya, fo' sho'). Mmmmm, meatball sub. Hmmmm...now that I think about it, Sunday night may be meatless ball sub night!

Dessert: Chloe Coscarelli's Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Truffles. Oh yeah, baby. Make this on Monday and enjoy one each night after dinner. Or eat them all in one sitting like I do. Either way, this recipe may change your life.

Additional note: I didn't include any salads on the menu besides Wednesday. This is because the taco salad is a main dish. On the other days I would make a nice large green salad to accompany the other dishes. Some favorite salads include this raw kale-avocado salad, a spinach and arugala salad with a balsamic dressing, or simply romaine and raw veggies with vegan ranch dressing.

Let me know if you have any must-try recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment